Brickfield Rangers v Penycae

SCORERS: Josh Millington
James Triggs
M.O.T.M: Josh Millington
STARTING XI: Matt Griffiths Kyle Davies Aled Roberts Dyfan Smith Ryan Jones Adam Peters Ben Jones Callum Williams Austin Owen Josh Millington Alex Rowlands
SUBSTITUTES: James Triggs Adam Yeap Joe Davies Ian Andrews

Today saw us travel to top of the table Brickfield and some say title favourites. With a few players missing due to work commitments, we had a very young bench. As we arrived at the ground Ryan Merrill had pulled out due to a sickness bug forcing us to make a change and Dyfan Smith come into the starting line up after 4 weeks out injured. There was no pressure from us on the lads to get a result, we just wanted 100% from them and not to give away goals. The game started in tricky conditions with it raining and wind blowing a gale making it hard for both teams to get settled. Brickfield did start to put us under a bit of pressure with long throw ins and corners, we defended these really well as they had 4/5, 6 ft plus lads. We began to get into the game and won a corner, Alex Rowlands delivered a cross into the box and Ryan Jones was pulled to the ground, the referee awarded us a penalty. Josh Millington stepped up and saw his spot kick saved only for him to lash home the rebound to put us 1-0 up. This clearly rattled Brickfield and they began to become a bit frustrated and missed a few opportunities to score, Brickfield did get on level terms when a cross into the box was headed home by the tall centre back. 1-1. Austin Owen then pulled up after chasing a through ball and was taken off as he was in some discomfort with his hamstring. We continued to battle well and stay in the game with Adam Peters and Callum Williams playing really well in centre midfield. We got another goal when Adam Peters won possession and played a great pass over the top for Josh Millington who was challenged by the keeper, the ball fell for James Triggs who volleyed into the net from 15 yds for 2-1. In the last minute of the half James Triggs took a blow to the head after challenging the keeper, he was clearly dazed and had to come off at half time. Ht 2-1. With no other striker on the bench, manager Ian Andrews came on to play up front and add a bit of experience. The 2nd half was a great battle and a fantastic and brave display of defending from us with also some luck of poor finishing from brickfield. We also had a couple of good chances to kill the game off but never took them. With time running out Brickfield were awarded one last chance with a free kick from out wide, they pushed everyone forward  including the keeper to try and get an equaliser. The ball was delivered into the box and as the players challenged for the ball the referee blew his whistle, as the players looked around the referee had signalled a foul by a brickfield player, all hell broke loose as the linesman was waving his flag and placed it across his chest to award a penalty, to our amazement we couldn't believe what he was doing as no brickfield player had appealed for anything, the referee went over and after a discussion told the linesman to put his flag down and stick to his original decision, great composure and guts not to not change his decision after a terrible mistake by the linesman. From the resulting kick the referee blew the full time whistle for a 2-1 win for us. Great character today from the players and defended for there lives, put bodies on the line and gave 100% for the whole 90 mins. This is a result nobody would have predicted, but the boys can do it if they put the hard work and effort in. We now look to build on this performance at Lex next week.