Penycae v Llay Welfare (League Cup)

SCORERS: Josh Millington
Austin Owen
Alex Rowlands
M.O.T.M: Josh Millington
STARTING XI: Matt Griffiths Kyle Davies Aled Roberts Ryan Merrill Ryan Jones Adam Peters Mike Parry Luke Peters Austin Owen Josh Millington Ben Jones
SUBSTITUTES: Alex Rowlands James Triggs Shaun Pemberton Adam yeap  Joe Davies
After last week's disaster at Rhos, we were looking for a reaction and a better performance from the players. It was out 3rd meeting of the season against Llay and was sure to be another close game.We made a couple of changes to the starting 11,with Luke Peters and Ryan Merrill coming in for Alex Rowlands and Dyfan Smith. The game started with us on the front foot and applying pressure on the Llay back 4, we had a couple of good opportunities to get a goal but the final ball was letting us down. A corner for us caused a few problems when Ryan Merrill headed back towards goal and then it was like ping pong for 30secs with Llay struggling to clear the ball, when it was finally cleared a long ball over the top caught us out and the Llay forward crossed for the oncoming winger to slide in for 1-0. This was Llays first real attack and they scored from it, this knocked our players after a promising start. Llay went for it and created a couple of half chances that we just that we just about coped with
We gained a bit of composure a got a foot on the ball again, and a great forward pass found Austin Owen in the channel, he left the defender with his pace and waited for a great run from Josh Millington who cut inside and fired past the Llay keeper for 1-1.  This was a goal which lifted the lads and we got back into the game with a well taken goal. HT 1-1. The effort was there from the players, they just had to believe that they could go and win the game. The 2nd half was entertaining to say the least, with 3 goals and a sending off in a 15 min spell. A neat 1-2 between Llay players ended with the midfield player curling into the top corner from 25yds out, a great goal but poor defending from us. We then went at Llay and had a few corners but could not convert, then some good play down the left by Alex Rowlands who's cross was quality and found Austin Owen who headed home for 2-2. Straight from kick off we were caught sleeping when Llay attacked down the right and a cross was tapped home at the far Post for 3-2. Shocking defending from us after getting back into the game. On 60 mins a run into the box by Luke Peters drew what looked like a foul and the referee seemed to point to the penalty spot, within 20secs after a bit of argie bargy, the referee sent off Luke Peters and awarded a goal kick. Everybody seemed confused and don't think the referee did himself any justice with the decision made. We were now clearly up against it and with 30 mins to play we decided to have a go and went 3-4-2 with nothing to lose. Llay had some chances to wrap the game up but poor finishing and good goalkeeping from Matt Griffiths kept us in the game, with the 90th minute approaching a forward pass found Alex Rowlands who attacked the full back and drew the defender into a tackle inside the box and was fouled for a clear penalty.Alex stepped up and coolly slotted home for 3-3, a goal we deserved for a great effort with 10 men. A few players were clearly struggling with fatigue but we had already made our substitutions so it was going to be hard with 10 men. Both sides were tired and the quality of play dropped, Llay were obviously going to see a lot of the ball, and the got ahead again when the winger cut in and fired into the top corner for 4-3. We held on for the rest of the 1st half. We had a right go 2nd period of extra time and Ryan Jones had a great chance with the last kick of the game but his shot went wide. Ft 4-3. A great effort from the players who played an hour with 10 men and kept asking questions of the  Llay defence, a much improved performance from last week and another close game against Llay. We now have got to show that level of performance next week against Hawarden.