Penycae v Mold Alexandra (1)

SCORERS: Ryan Jones
STARTING XI: Matt Griffiths Adam Mills Aled Roberts Ryan Merrill Ryan Jones Adam Peters Mike Parry Josh Millington Elliot Kavanagh Austin Owen Rhys Powell
SUBSTITUTES: Kyle Davies Luke Peters Callum Williams Ian Andrews

Today we welcomed Mold Alex to the riverside looking to build on our performance from chirk last time out.

We made a couple of changes with Elliott Kavanagh and Rhys Powell coming in for there 1st starts after joining. We started the game really well and looked very good going forward with Austin Owen causing problems with his pace on the right wing, Elliot Kavanagh was looking sharp and giving the mold defence a tough time. Our first chance of the game came when a high press lead by Austin Owen led to a mistake by the mold centre back leaving Elliott through on goal, he took a touch and hit a shot towards goal only for it to hit the crossbar and go over. Mold tried to get back into the game and started to find the striker who was well looked after by Ryan Jones, they forced a couple of corners but we defended them really well. Mike Parry was now starting to get into the game and looked dangerous every time he had the ball going past players with ease, it was just our final ball letting us down. HT 0-0. More of the same was the message at half time. 5 mins into the 2nd half it all changed as the referee decided to book Josh Millington for a pullback then sending him off 20 secs later for dissent, a decision that angered our players. The break in play caused us to lose our momentum in the game and mold pushed us back with the extra man advantage, on 60 minutes mold took the lead when the striker tapped home after a cross to the near post. This hurt the lads who had been playing well and taking the game to mold, we tried to get a foothold in the game but the extra man was causing a problem. With 10 mins to go we took a defender off and went 3 at the back to try and get a goal, some might say it's a risk, but would rather lose 2-0 having a go than 1-0. With time running out we won a free kick out wide, we filled the box and Aled Roberts put a quality cross in which found Elliot Kavanagh, his header was going in only for the keeper to make a great save but Ryan Jones was on hand to knock the rebound in for 1-1. We managed to see out the last few minutes and held on for a deserved point. It was a great battling performance from the players after going down to 10 men and it felt like a win when we equalised, if we keep on showing this fighting spirit then we can't complain. Ft 1-1.