Saltney Town V Penycae

SCORERS: Austin Owen
Austin Owen
Mike Parry
Adam Yeap
M.O.T.M: Austin Owen
STARTING XI: Matt Griffiths Kyle Davies Alex Rowlands Ian Andrews Ryan Merrill Ryan Jones Shaun Pemberton Callum Williams Austin Owen Luke Peters Mike Parry

After a 2 week break we had the opportunity to get playing again away at Saltney. Our squad was down to the bare bones this week with 6 players missing, manager Ian Andrews had to be involved in the match day squad. The game started with us having plenty of possession in our own half and looking quite comfortable in defence, we looked to use the pace of Austin Owen and Luke Peters upfront with Mike Parry playing just behind. On 16 mins we won possession and had a quick break away down the right, Kyle Davies crossed only for the defender to head out but the ball fell for Mike Parry who slotted a controlled volley into the bottom corner for 1-0. The goal seemed to rattle Saltney and we began to look a threat when going forward with Austin Owen causing problems with his pace. On 27 mins a moment of madness saw us reduced to 10 men when Mike Parry was sent off for kicking out. Saltney pounced on this opportunity and pushed forward looking for the equaliser, they had a break down the left and a cut back found the striker who slotted home for 1-1. Trying to regroup and gain composure we won a corner, Alex Rowlands hit the far post where Ian Andrews headed back across for Austin Owen to head in for 2-1 on 44 mins. With half time approaching lack of communication in the defence gave Saltney an equaliser when Ryan Merrill could only put the ball into our net for 2-2. We just had to settle ourselves down was the half time chat and get Austin and Luke running at the Saltney defence. On 58 mins Matt Griffiths took a cross then hit a 60 yard pass over the defence and put Austin Owen through on goal, he took 1 touch and hammered it past the Saltney keeper for 3-2. The plan now was to contain Saltney, we were dealing with all the crosses coming into the box but on 70 mins a lack of concentration at a corner allowed a Saltney player to tap home from a 4 yards for 3-3. We were now up against it as Saltney used the extra man and pushed us back, on 75 mins Saltney took the lead for the 1st time when a tame shot at goal squirmed through Matt Griffiths hands and dropped over the line for 4-3. This was deflating for the players who had worked so hard but no blame on matt as he's been fantastic this season. With 10 mins to go we pressed the keeper and forced him to pass straight to Adam Yeap who had an empty goal to make it 4-4, he just managed to find the net via a deflection. 4-4 with 10 men and under 10 mins to go we would have settled for a point, we were defending well but Saltney got a 5th goal when they had a shot from 20yds out and it hit a player and flew into the top corner for 5-4. With 2 mins remaining Adam Yeap broke through the defence only for the player to bring him down 25 yards from goal (surely a red card) the referee thought it was best not to send the player off as there was only a few minutes remaining, the free kick went wide. In stoppage time Saltney added a 6th goal with the players dead on three feet after playing an hour with 10 men on a heavy pitch. Ft 4-6. A great effort from the players who played today, a stupid red card changed the game and with 11 men I think we would have got a result. Lessons will be learned, but the attitude and fighting spirit was a credit to the club.