Meliden v Penycae

SCORERS: James Triggs
Josh Millington
M.O.T.M: Matt Griffiths
STARTING XI: 1. Matt Griffiths 2. Jamie monk 3. Alex Peters 4. Josh Millington 5. Ryan Merrill 6. Adam Peters 7. Josh Jones 8. Kian Davies 9. James Triggs 10. Alex Rowlands 11. Mike Parry
SUBSTITUTES: 12. Luke Peters 14. Shaun Pemberton 15. Austin Owen.
Today we travelled up the coast for our welsh cup game at Meliden. 
Again we had to make a few changes due to other commitments. Matt Griffiths came back in goal, and 17year old Kian Davies came in for Ben Jones.
On a tricky pitch and blustery wind blowing, it was going to be a tough game against a big physical side. 
Meliden won the toss, and made us kick down with the wind at our backs. After a bright start we found ourselves 1-0 down when a free kick from by the halfway line caught Matt Griffiths out and it went straight over him and in. The goal gave meliden a lift and our lads struggled to get on the ball and put 3 passes together. When we finally settled, we began to look dangerous down the left with Mike Parry causing problems for the fullback, this made meliden drop deeper and allow us possession. On 14 mins we were level when a Matt Griffiths kick was left to bounce and James Triggs was first to react and got in behind the defence, he took a touch and coolly slotted passed the keeper for 1-1. We were now on top and got a 2nd goal, when Josh Millington headed home from an Alex Rowlands corner on 20 minutes. We kept meliden at distance and they were restricted to long shots at goal, they nearly got one only for a fantastic save from matt in goal. Ht 2-1. We spoke about managing the game and to keep turning the defence to get in behind. With the wind at their backs, meliden came out fighting, they used the conditions and hit long balls at every opportunity, our defence were holding firm with Ryan Merrill and Josh Millington barking there orders to the players in front of them. Meliden began forcing corner after corner, but matt griffiths was on form and dealing with all the crosses that came into him. We had a couple of half chances when James Triggs and Kian Davies both had shots saved by the keeper to stop us extending our lead. Meliden kept on pushing but we held firm and were in no mood to concede. Ft 2-1. A great effort from the players on a very tricky pitch and with the conditions made it hard to play football at times. We dug in and showed great character 2nd half not to concede, we now look forward to the 1st round when we welcome Airbus who are top of the Cymru Alliance.